Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I'm back!

I can't believe it's been 6 months since I've posted and somehow I missed the entire football season. Well, I didn't miss it, I just didn't write about it. I was there for every home game, including the memorable wins vs. SC and the zeroes, as well as the sun bowl. I've got lots to say but I'll start with an apology and my key learning for the year.

First, I must apologize to Matt Moore and Coach Riley. I was not a fan of Riley's return even though I knew little of the Riley I era. My level of fandom kicked up with the DE era and I have been hooked ever since. That said he has been on a short leash with me and after the bad start I wanted him out. I'm now willing to consider I was wrong. The jury is still out as the team must continue to grow and perform next year, but Riley did things this year I didn't think he could do. Let's review a few:
  1. Win against a highly ranked team - I'll put SC and Hawaii in this bucket given the latter was on the islands.
  2. Rally team from behind late to win - Often we find ourselves hanging on late to win (SC, Hawaii) but twice this year the team rallied late to win (UO and Mizzou). This never say die type attitude is one I want my program to have
  3. Show a giant pair of stones - now he didn't go crazy, and I think some more creativity could be shown in the playbook, but to first decide to go for 2, then to call the play he called shows the kind of confidence he has in the team and that can lead to bigger and better things

As for Matt Moore I just didn't believe he had it in him. I didn't think he could mentally handle it. After last years debacle and the poor start including some poor decision making in the WSU game I thought it was time to move on. Again, I was wrong. As if with the flip of a switch he transformed into a nearly perfect decision maker who put the ball where it needed to be, including the 5th row if needed. I don't know why or how he saw the light, but he did and man what a difference it made. Just imagine if this guy had been in our system for four years, oh how things might have been different. Regardless, I am grateful for the time he did give to us and I hope this change in his game leads him to bigger and better things in his future. Whether there are football related or not, I'm not sure it matters.

Now for my key learning. I still believe that every game in a college football season is critical, but probably only for a select few. Those with national title aspirations. Now we'd all like to believe that means our team, but let's be real, chances are it doesn't. What I've learned is that I need to judge players and coaches alike on a grander scale. While I may not agree with every gameday decision I tend to defer to the end result. Did we win or lose. Really that's what I care about. Taking that one step further, does it matter if we lose a game or three early in the season. Really all that matters is how the season is as a whole. Sure, there will always be what-ifs, but since the chances of a title coming to Corvallis are slim, it's healthier to focus on attainable goals. Bowl games, bowl games wins, wins vs. ranked teams, monster upsets, etc. Now the Fiesta Bowl in 2001 is my all time favorite day in the history of the planet. But given the season just completed, I don't think I could be more satisfied with the larger picture. Big wins, close wins, lots of emotion and a great attitude. I love the team, I love the characteristics of the program and I might be falling for Riley. For now I'll say I'm glad he's my coach and I look forward to his continues stewardship of the program. (Did I actually say that, wow)

Go Beavs

Up next: Sun Bowl Roadtrip (just for you BH)


Comments:
Well said man. I think you share the sediments of many Beaver fans.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?