Wednesday, October 26, 2005

vs. U.C.L.A. we were U.G.L.Y.

I couldn’t have been more excited 90 seconds into the game as after 4 plays the Beavs were up 7-0.  Mike Hass already had two catches including a TD and it was clear he wasn't going to be shut down again.  He wasn't and ended with 7 for 199 and 2 scored.  However it didn’t take long for UCLA to tie the score and then the next thing I knew it was 24-7 and over.  Don't get me wrong at 4-3 the Beavs are better off than I thought they would be at this point, but I still have problems with this team.  Most notably is that in our 3 losses we have gotten pummeled.  L'ville, ASU and UCLA dominated us.  Are they that much better?  Maybe.  Do we have the skill to compete with them?  Absolutely.  I'll give you one of those types of games a year.  Sometimes it just happens.  But three in seven games is too much.

Now I'm no coach but I know that Mo Drew and Mercedes Lewis are key guys in the UCLA offense.  Maybe I take one away a'la Cal taking Hass away.  Instead we repeatedly let them get Drew against a LB in pass coverage and Lewis go 1:1 against a corner 7 inches shorter at the goal line.  These are matchups we were all aware of going in, yet it appeared that we didn’t defensive plan for nor adjust to during the game.  For UCLA, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  And we certainly gave them no reason too.  I leave this behind for now but should things go sour in the final four weeks we can look back at these games as symptoms of larger problems.

Beavs are at 4-3 and now face UA, @UW, and Stanford prior to the CW against the KC-less ducks.  Wins against UA and UW which seem likely if the Beavs play a solid game will take some pressure off as they qualify for a bowl.  A loss in one of those two and things could get interested.  Stanford is shaping up as a tough battle as the spanked a struggling ASU team this last week at one point leading 45-7.  Another QB that might cause us issues. 

After 4 weeks between games I am fired up and ready for Saturday to get here.  I'll be there in orange and with my voice well rested and ready to go.  Let's welcome the boys back and get them fired up for this important stretch.

UA preview to come.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?